Department of Treasury and Finance

Frequently asked questions

Who is eligible to apply?

Students who are completing, or have recently completed, the final year of their accounting, commerce, economics or finance tertiary degree are eligible to apply.

What do I need to prove citizenship/residency?

Under the Australian Immigration Guide on Work Rights, the following documents can be accepted as evidence of right to work within the Government of South Australia:

  • Australian birth certificate (if born in Australia before 20 August 1986)
  • Certificate of Australian citizenship
  • Australian or New Zealand passport
  • Evidence of permanent resident status.

Why do I need permanent residency for the graduate program?

Many of the positions offered by agencies to graduates are ongoing positions which require either Australian citizenship or permanent resident status.

However, there may be contract positions offered which do not require this criterion to be met.

How do I use the graduate register to apply for the GDP?

See the completing your application section.

What are the working hours?

Government agencies provide employees with the opportunity to take advantage of flexible working arrangements. These include flexi-time, part-time employment and job sharing. Part-time employment and job sharing arrangements can be negotiated with the employing department.

Full-time employees are employed 37.5 hours per week which equates to 7.5 hours per day.

Most South Australian Government agencies utilise flexi-time which enables you to accumulate time worked in excess of 37.5 hours per week.  Flexi-time can be used to manage your work commitments with your personal commitments, and facilitates a work-life balance. It can be used for time off subject to prior approval and your agency’s policies.

At times during the year, if you are required to work additional hours, you can access time off in lieu (TOIL) arrangements.  TOIL is similar to flexi time except that you can elect to have any TOIL paid out in additional to your normal salary.  You manager will need to ensure TOIL arrangements are in place when you are requested to work consistent additional hours, with some examples being:

  • budget preparation time in April/May
  • end of financial year reporting in August/September
  • end of Fringe Benefits Tax year reporting in April.

What about superannuation contributions?

The Southern State Superannuation Scheme (Triple S) is the compulsory superannuation scheme into which your employer makes contributions on your behalf. You can also elect to make additional before or after tax contributions toTriple S.

Are salary sacrifice options available?

There are salary sacrifice options available.  Examples of items that can be purchased through salary sacrifice include laptops, PDAs and superannuation.  See the government’s salary sacrifice option provider, Maxxia.

What about annual leave, sick leave and long service leave?

Note all leave is provided on a pro rata basis if employment is not on a full-time basis.

Annual Leave

Annual leave of 20 calendar days (150 hours) is provided per year of continuous service, and is credited at a rate of 12.5 hours per month

Retention leave is provided for employees with fifteen or more years of continuous services at a rate of 4 calendar days (30 hours) of additional annual leave per year.

Sick leave

Sick leave of 12 calendar days (90 hours) is provided each financial year, and is credited at a rate of one day per completed month of service.  This accumulates without limit if not taken.

Government employees are able to access up to 10 sick leave days each year as Family Carer's Leave (to provide care for a dependent) or up to 5 sick leave days each year as Paid Partner Leave (to provide care for the birth or adoption of a child).

Long service leave

Long service leave of 90 calendar days is provided after 10 years of continuous service with the government.

After seven years continuous service, you can request access to your pro rata long service leave and you are eligible to be paid out your pro rata long service leave if you leave employment with the government, irrespective of the circumstances.

Other leave

Paid maternity/adoption/surrogacy leave is available of up to:

  • 16 weeks for government employees with at least one year of continuous service, and
  • 20 weeks for government employees with at least five years of continuous service.

What support can I get for further studies?

Each agency has a study leave policy.  Support may include:

  • paid and/or unpaid study leave to attend lectures, tutorials, presentations and exams,
  • paid and/or unpaid study leave to study, and
  • full or part reimbursement of course fees.

These arrangements vary from agency to agency.  Prior approval of study leave and fee reimbursement is always required.

See the professional development and continuing education section.

What opportunities are there for career changes within government?

Graduates are able to seek transfers and promotional positions in other government departments and agencies.  These vacancies are offered on the Jobs SA website.

Will I be employed by the Department of Treasury and Finance?

The Department of Treasury and Finance coordinates the recruitment process of finance-related graduates across government, and is just one agency offering graduate positions.

Some of the agencies that have recruited graduates in recent years include:

What is the Department of Treasury and Finance's involvement in the GDP?

The department coordinates the recruitment, placement and the 12 month induction program (the GDP) for finance-related graduates in the Government of South Australia

What support/development will I receive as part of the GDP?

All graduates employed under the GDP are provided with:

  • on-the-job training by your employing agency
  • a two day induction session which provides an opportunity to network with fellow graduates and covers teamwork and communication
  • a 12-month structured professional and personal development program coordinated by the Department of Treasury and Finance.

Some of the topics covered during the 12-month program include:

  • Career management
  • Communication and presentation skills
  • Government processes
  • Whole of Government financial management
  • Policy analysis
  • Budget processes

What is the process once I have been short listed?

The shortlist is provided to government agencies that have indicated an interest in recruiting graduates. Agencies can then invite graduates to attend an interview.

Will I receive an interview from other agencies?

If your application has been shortlisted, you may receive an invitation from one or more state government agencies to attend a job interview.

Is my major important?

Your major may be of interest to agencies when they look to match the right person to the particular job they have available.  A majority of roles are for graduates with accounting majors – however, majors in economics or finance are also in demand for various roles across state government.

How Long does the recruiting process take?

We aim to have a shortlist of candidates within 3-4 weeks of the closing date, and encourage other agencies to complete recruitment as soon as possible after that.

However, some agencies will not become aware of vacancies until later in the year at which time they may access the shortlist again.

What do I need to bring to the interview?

You must provide an original academic transcript and proof of your citizenship or permanent residency.  When you are invited to attend your interview, you must confirm with the agency whether there is anything else you need to bring with you.